Haproxy 2.0.6 - nbsrv is not working

Hi Mates,

I have this below config, my requirement is to route the requests if main-backend’s available servers becomes 1 out of 2, so I tried nbsrv, but ended up with some problem there which is not working as expected

frontend myApplication 
  bind :::443 ssl crt <cert/location> 
  log global 
  maxconn 10000
  acl main_is_down nbsrv(main-backend) le 1
  use_backend backup-backend if main_is_down
  default_backend main-backend

backend main-backend 
  option httpchk GET /healthCheck
  server server1 1.2.3.4:8080 maxconn 100 check 
  server server2 1.2.3.5:8080 maxconn 100 check    

backend backup-backend 
   option httpchk GET /healthCheck
   server backup-server1 2.1.3.4:8080 maxconn 100 check
  server backup-server2 2.1.3.5:8080 maxconn 100 check

All the servers in main-backend is down, request is getting failed with 503 since both the servers in main-backend is down

Could you please help in suggesting the changes in this config to make it work so that I can forward the requests to backup-backend ?

Thanks in Advance!

I have a Fallback Setup with two single servers
frontend uses “use_backend master” for the requests, in backend there is a backup-setup.

backend master
    server master   1.2.3.4:443 maxconn 140 check weight 1 inter 5s rise 3 fall 2
    server slave      1.2.3.5:443 maxconn 100 check backup weight 1 inter 5s rise 3 fall 2

server slave only get connections if master does not answer some number of requests in a certain time.
if master is up again, all requests are routed to master again…

How this can work in production case? If we have more than one as main servers, haproxy will not route the traffic to backup until all the main are going down…

I need to route the traffic to backup if some number of main backend are down(2 are down out of 5), so I decided to go with nbsrv instead of using backup keyword in the same backend config

I can’t see anything wrong with your configuration on a first glance.

Enable proper logging, reproduce the issue and provide the logs: