Meanwhile, happy new year to all friends on this forum.
I have never worked with HAProxy and now ask for advice and be directed to a guide to help me solve my problem; which is not having a load balancer, but distributing the web traffic on multiple Apache servers having only one IP address.
For example, in DNS I have domain1.tld and domain2.tld which refer to a single IP address.
However, domain1.tld is managed by the Apache-A server while domain2.tld is managed by the Apache-B server.
From what I understand I have to place HAproxy in front of the two servers, but I did not understand how to route traffic to one or the other.
HAProxy I would put it as a package of the pfSense firewall.
In reality, I will not only have two domains on two Apache servers, but several domains distributed on several servers in a different way.
- some domains will have sub domains
- domains and subdomains will have their own Let’s Encrypt certificate
- some web applications will be reachable using a port number.
To give a concrete example:
- domain1.tld -> Apache-A
- prj.domain1.tld -> Apache-B
- crm.domain1.tld -> Apache-A
- erp.domain2.tld:1000 -> Apache-B
- tools.domain1.tld/tools1 -> Apache-A
- tools.domain1.tld/tools2:3000 -> Apache-A
- tools.domain1.tld/tools3 -> Apache-A
Starting from scratch, today I don’t even know if a distribution as in the example is possible or if it should keep a domain and its subdomains on the same server.
I first read the documentation and probably misread, but I only find references to load balancing.