HAProxy community

Turn off all timeouts

Is there a way to turn off all timeouts, or set them to be infinite? I have a setup where the traffic is low, but connections can be very long lived. While working on reducing those long lived connections, I’d rather haproxy not timeout anything.

Thanks!

Hi,

Simply don’t set them and they’ll be turned to 0.
That said, I strongly not doing this. You could be DDOSed quickly and easily.
You may want at least to setup client and server side tcp-ut, to let HAProxy and your kernel know when there is definitively nobody at the other side of the connection.

Sorry to wake up an old thread, but I felt it was better to write it here than opening a similar thread.

I’ve set it to 0 now (or just leave it out all together) and it works just as I expect. This is an internal service that expects long connections and I want it to act the same way as it would if I communicated directly with a backend.

Anyway, when having the value 0, you get warnings when starting HAProxy:

Jan 30 11:20:23 my-server haproxy[10860]: [WARNING] 029/112023 (10860) : config : missing timeouts for frontend 'my-backend'.
Jan 30 11:20:23 my-server haproxy[10860]:    | While not properly invalid, you will certainly encounter various problems
Jan 30 11:20:23 my-server haproxy[10860]:    | with such a configuration. To fix this, please ensure that all following
Jan 30 11:20:23 my-server haproxy[10860]:    | timeouts are set to a non-zero value: 'client', 'connect', 'server'.
Jan 30 11:20:23 my-server haproxy[10860]: [WARNING] 029/112023 (10860) : config : missing timeouts for backend 'my-backend'.
Jan 30 11:20:23 my-server haproxy[10860]:    | While not properly invalid, you will certainly encounter various problems
Jan 30 11:20:23 my-server haproxy[10860]:    | with such a configuration. To fix this, please ensure that all following
Jan 30 11:20:23 my-server haproxy[10860]:    | timeouts are set to a non-zero value: 'client', 'connect', 'server'.

Is there a way to supress this warning?

There is no way to suppress this warnings, because it’s a terrible, terrible idea.

In what way is it a terrible idea? Genuinely curious, what could happen that I probably wouldn’t want?

What will happen is that obsolete session will hang in there forever and will never be closed. If those sessions are generic sessions, it will probably be a few weeks or months before you reach the limits. If it is an attack, the instance will likely only last for a few minutes.

When you hit those limits, and maxconn is configured correctly: haproxy won’t accept any new sessions and your service will stop working. If maxconn is miss configured (too high for the available RAM), the out-of-memory killer of your OS will kill haproxy, so the service won’t work anymore.

In every case, you will have a unreliable service that suddenly stops working.