Forwarding to a backend on a new URL path

Hello!

I currently host a multi-server application using Apache HTTPD as a proxy, and am in the process of moving across to HAProxy. I’ve found a lot of the configuration far simpler and more intuitive than Apache, but am stumped on one particular requirement (enforced by the application).

Requests come in to HAProxy on a path matching /ApplicationA/rest/of/path, /ApplicationB/rest/of/path, /ApplicationC/rest/of/path, and based on the application letter (A, B, C) HAProxy is to pass the request onto one of a number of backend servers. The caveat is that the request needs to be forwarded to the backend on /Application/rest/of/path, rather than /Application/rest/of/path.

I’ve tried the something along these lines, but since the reqrep is applied before use backend, I end up with the request URL failing to match.

acl   url_application_a   path_beg   /ApplicationA
acl   url_application_b   path_beg   /ApplicationB
acl   url_application_a   path_beg   /ApplicationC

use_backend   APP_A   if   url_application_a
use_backend   APP_B   if   url_application_b
use_backend   APP_C   if   url_application_c

reqrep   ^([^\ :]*)\ /ApplicationA[/]?(.*)        \1\ /Application/\2      if url_application_a
reqrep   ^([^\ :]*)\ /ApplicationB[/]?(.*)        \1\ /Application/\2      if url_application_b
reqrep   ^([^\ :]*)\ /ApplicationC[/]?(.*)        \1\ /Application/\2      if url_application_c

Is what I’m looking for possible? And am I just missing something silly? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

You should be able to just put reqrep in the backend section.

Perfect, thanks for that. Still getting used to the config options that are applicable to different sections. Adjusting my backend def to include the reqrep did the job.

backend APP_A
        balance        roundrobin
        reqrep          ^([^\ :]*)\ /Application[A-Z][/]?(.*)        \1\ /Application/\2
        server          tomcat01app    x.x.x.x:8080/Application check
        server          tomcat02app    x.x.x.x:8081/Application  check

If in doubt, consult the documentation, for every keyword there is a table with “May be used in sections”:

https://cbonte.github.io/haproxy-dconv/1.8/configuration.html#4.2-reqrep